February 21, 2009

Meet The Experts: Oracle Master Syed Jaffar Hussain

This week's featured expert is Oracle Certified Master, OCP, OCE and the first Oracle ACE from Middle East, Syed Jaffar Hussain.
Syed Jaffar is currently working as a senior Oracle DBA at a large commercial bank in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Syed Jaffar is the elder brother of our featured expert, Sabdar Syed.
Such an impressive family of Oracle experts!


OCP Advisor (OCPA): Please share with us your background and professional experience.

Syed Jaffar Hussain (SJH): Syed Jaffar Hussain (SJA): I started my IT career way back in 1992, when I was probably just 18 yrs old. I was working on WordStar, Wordperfect and Lotus applications and did small programming with FoxPro. Now,I have 16+ years of IT experience in which Over 8 years as an Oracle DBA. I am currently working for a big bank in Saudi Arabian country as Sr. Oracle Database consultant on 16 node RAC setup with over 50 databases projects on HPUX Superdome ,EMC DMX4 Symmetric SAN storage.When I look back at my career, its was really a tough journey to become what I am today. I have enjoyed all the challenges that I have faced during my professional tenure.


OCPA: You have achieved OCE, OCP and OCM Certification credentials. What motivated you to achieve this spectacular success?


SJH: After 4 years of Oracle experience, I got my first Oracle certification credentials as an OCP on Oracle 8i OCP. I always believe that having practical knowledge is more important than simply passing certification exams and I still stand by my view. In those early days when I started working with Oracle products, I used to spend almost 12 hrs a day working with databases and almost 4 hrs reading Oracle books and documentation.Achieving Oracle Certified Master (OCM) was one of my long cherished dream. I appeared for the exam during August 2008 and waited almost a month to get the result. In my 8 years of Oracle experience every day I learn new things in Oracle and this keeps me motivated to learn more about Oracle database technologies.


OCPA: Based on your certification experience, what is your advice, tips, suggestions for candidates preparing for the exams?

SJH: I always suggest adequate practical experience is very important. Even when one is preparing for a new release and and one is not exposed to a production environment, practice on demo or test instances and databases and then pursue Oracle certification. Without hands-on experience, most employers will stop believing in the value of Oracle certification.

Another emphatic suggestion is NEVER use any dumps for passing the exam. Dumps demoralizes, demotivates and decreases one's passion towards learning something by referring books and documents. I am a great admirer of Oracle documentation as they contains all the information that is required for certification exams.


OCPA: Oracle is constantly releasing new versions and technologies. How do you keep updated with he changes and upgrade your skills?


SJH: This is the very competitive world and one must be up to date with Oracle skills and knowledge in order to cope with the challenges in IT market. I always like to have a look at the new release features , whether they are applicable to my current production environment or not. I believe practice makes a person perfect.


OCPA: Which Oracle technologies excite you most?

SJH: For the past one year I have been extensively working with Oracle RAC technologies. I have been excited about performance tuning, RMAN and Data Guard (standby database). Presently, my work involves implementing 8+ node RAC production environment. I have also given one day exclusive RMAN seminars on behalf of Oracle EMEA in Denmark and Sweden. Recently, I was appointed Oracle RAC SIG representative for Saudi region.


OCPA: You are also a very popular blogger. Please tell us what you blog about.


SJH: I discuss about the problems that were faced the production environment and how I resolved the issue or implemented a workaround. I feel sharing such knowledge would be useful to my blog readers.Please visit my blog at http://jaffardba.blogspot.com


OCPA: On behalf of OCP Blog community, I want to thank you for setting aside your some time within your busy work day for this interview feature.

SJH: Thank you, OCP Advisor, for this opportunity to share my Oracle certification experience with others. Keep the hard work going mate!

14 comments:

  1. Yes, my elder brother, Mr. Jaffar Hussain truly deserves to have all the great credentials i.e. OCP, OCE, Oracle ACE, and OCM.

    He continuously motivates me in my career growth and plan. Not only me, he also motivated dozens of DBAs in this world.

    Let’s wish and nominate my brother, Syed Jaffar Hussain, to be awarded with the “DBA of the year” Award this year by the Oracle Corporation.

    Regards,
    Sabdar Syed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough i know him for a short period,very much impressed the way he takes the work and help to resolve the issues then and there.

    Think he deserves the Award from Oracle Corporation. I you ask to vote among the DBA's I know surely i will vote for Jaffar Hussain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would indeed be well discovered recognition for Syed Jaffar Hussain to be recognized as 'DBA of the Year'. On our OCP Blog we have been privileged to feature future Oracle award winners. Perhaps, another one is on the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As per Laurent Schneider, the first Oracle ACE from the Middle East is Avi Abrami from Israle. The blog editor referenced the Oracle ACE page of Syed Jaffar Hussain to make the statement and has no reason to either agree or disagree to Laurent's observation. This comment is for blog readers to decide on their own. Personally, if you are the 1st or the 100th the number doesn't really matter. What matters is the global recognition achieved and bestowed by Oracle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typo correction - please read "Israel" instead of "Israle"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    We are Very Glad & Proud of Jaffar Bhai..
    for his OCM Achivement .
    He is the 1st OCM in the Middle EAST...
    He Deserves this Certification.,
    He is the Role Model for Many DBAs Across the MIDDLE EAST & Globally too...

    He is the Proven Extraordinary Versatile in ORACLE Technolgies...

    We Wish him Success in his future endeavours
    - STC DBAs,
    Riyadh Saudi Arabia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    For Beta exams, how soon we will get to know whether we passed the test or not ?

    Please let know

    Rgds
    Ravindra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually it takes 8-10 weeks after the close of the beta exam to launch the production exam. After 2-4 weeks, the beta exam scores are informed. So one would be looking at beta exams score 3 months after beta testing closes (note: if you have taken the exam days/months before the test period closes, your wait is even more!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi:
    I passed the exam izo-001,042 and 043 from Prometric. To become ocp I need ILT for 10G RAC training. It is very expensive being unemployed.
    Please advice me what is the best solutions.
    My email is musakhan47@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Muhammad

    ReplyDelete
  11. salam jaffer hussain im haidarali from india .I am douig in MCA second year after 4th sem i m douig in OCPA or .NET so plase advise .I am doiug is OCPA or .NET palse replay me my email=id"maknojiya143@gmail.com"

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI :
    i am a 2009 pass out B.E.CSE i have written iz0-042 exam ,but i cant find any Interviews for freshers for Oracle Dba ,,,,,plz help me out how can i search jobs
    my id: gowtham.334@gmail.com

    Thanks in Advance ............

    Gowtham

    ReplyDelete
  13. We neeed to appreciate Oracle Server Technology Team for making such a great Cluster Technology - Oracle RAC.

    we all as DBA just execute the commands given in documentation & use logic to make sure all are up & running.

    Thats it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oracle Internally working out to make Oracle RAC a standard Clusterware works for all leading applications.

    Javid
    Oracle Global Consulting

    ReplyDelete